Packaging magic isn’t all that mystical. It can actually be a snap! In the packaging and shipping world, “oversized” items can be a problem. In fact, it can add more than $65 to each package that measures over “standard” size. If you’re shipping a birthday package to your mom, that’s an annoying fee; but if you’re shipping literally hundreds of packages to your customers and dealer network every week, the cost adds up.
As shipping costs steadily rise and the dimensions of “oversized” packages (as defined by shipping companies like FedEx and UPS) shrink, Gilson customers are continuously looking for ways to reduce package sizes and modify shipping methods to save money.
Our expertise in packaging and shipping saves our customers millions of dollars—without sacrificing turnaround time, efficiency or the safe arrival of the products shipped.
Packaging Magic: The Real Secret
If the dimensions of a box determine shipping costs, customers obviously benefit from using the smallest effective box. Instead of the traditional one-size-fits-all approach, the ideal box is custom-sized for the specific items shipped. Sound expensive? With Gilson’s high-tech packaging equipment, custom boxes are not only more affordable, they’re safer, more efficient and better for the environment.
Last year, Gilson installed an on-demand packaging machine that produces boxes of varying sizes, shapes, and functions in a matter of minutes. The process begins with an operator entering dimensions and other specifications into the machine’s software. Using large stacks of accordion-folded corrugated material that feed directly into the system, the machine makes each box to precise specifications and produces only the exact quantity of boxes needed.
A Complete Benefits Package
Customers benefit from our on-demand packaging approach in so many ways:
- Managed Material Costs – Because the number of boxes made is specified by the operator and reflects the exact number of boxes needed, every order is precise. Customers are charged per box and for only the materials needed for each job.
- Safer Shipping for Contents – A package designed specifically for the product being transported minimizes empty space in the box and reduces the likelihood of damage during shipping.
- No Inventory or Warehousing Fees – Producing only the number of boxes needed eliminates over-runs, inventory and the need for warehouse space, resulting in big cost-savings for customers.
- Alternatives to Traditional Packaging – Our system facilitates production of specialized boxes with design features to protect items and hold them securely in place.
- Reduced Use of Fillers – Less space in a shipping package reduces or eliminates the need for fillers (packing peanuts, air pillows, etc.), resulting in lower costs for customers, less environmental impact and easier processing for package recipients.
Thinking Outside the Tube
Gilson’s packaging equipment also solves the challenges of odd-shaped and unusually fragile contents. Our large format department designs and produces hundreds of innovative stands, signs, posters and other large printed items that cannot be folded or could be easily damaged in standard rectangular boxes.
For example, although sending posters and other large format items in tubes protects them from damage, the pre-made tubes often add a significant cost in shipping and handling fees. To reduce these charges, Gilson designed a specialized box that grips the edge of a poster, holds it securely in place and rolls it to fit into a rectangular box made onsite with our on-demand packaging equipment. Solutions like this regularly save Gilson customers thousands of dollars—and our packaging experts are always on the lookout for new ways to make projects even more cost-effective for our customers.
Similarly, odd-shaped and fragile items are sent in boxes specifically designed to protect the package contents, holding them securely in place and preventing damage during shipping.
Money-Saving Ideas are Part of the Package
Our packaging experts are always on the lookout for cost-saving solutions for our customers. In one case recent situation, the shipping department noticed that the box required to ship a printed shelf stand was just one inch over the threshold of standard size, moving it into the expensive “oversized” category for shipping. Gilson contacted the customer, suggested a slight modification to the printed piece that would also reduce the size of the shipping box and saved the customer hundreds of dollars.
In another instance, a Gilson sales representative suggested that a customer add a simple score to a large printed piece, enabling it to be folded and packaged in a smaller box, again avoiding costly “oversized” shipping charges.
Stay Out of the Penalty Box
We’d like to put our expertise to work for you. Contact us for a closer look at how we can save you time and money on your next packaging and shipping project.